Friday, October 30, 2009

The World Relocates to Angola

When I thought that Angola was really at the end of the world (with heavy oil company investment, of course), two very interesting events snuck up on me this week. Ok, ONE was an event, the other was an occurrence.

The Event
Tom Peters, the “guru” of modern management, blessed us poor lost souls with his presence this week in the Centro de Convenções Talatona (Convention Center).

Let me start off by saying that I can’t remember the last time I inhaled so deeply.

The main conference room was half-packed with executives from most of the large companies (domestic and foreign). Poised and ready to absorb global knowledge, we waited patiently for the whirlwind known as Tom Peters to begin.

He was fan-freakin-tastic. Minus the quasi-drool, I had to make a serious effort to close my mouth once in a while. Yes, the topics (invest in human capital, hire for attitude, promote inter-departamental communication, leadership, smaller offices the higher up you are) were not novel, by any means, which was exactly his point. We are living in a world where there are few Southwest Airlines, Googles, Apples, and Luiza Magazines. What we’re left with is a handful of wanna-be companies that have altogether forgotten how to do business…start with a killer smile, charm them with your language skills, and dance them to death. Delicious recipe. Why aren’t we making more of it?

So, after a day of brilliant examples, freezing cold temperatures, relatively tasteless food, and BAI´s heavy year-end report (bank sponsor), I left energized, giggly, and overall more complete. Hadn’t realized how much I was craving some global action…and English. Unfortunately, for those non-English speakers, they got less than little with the terrible translation service…alas, we’re still in Africa.

So worth the $2500 per person price tag the company picked up. Caught that? $2500! Who wants to volunteer to come to Angola next and talk about what to wear?

The Occurrence
Here I was, driving through Luanda´s traffic a bit later than usual and my eyes start wondering. They wonder right. They wonder left. And they wonder down…to a bumper sticker with OBAMA/BIDEN 08! I mean, you THINK I’m kidding, but I’m NOT!

Angola (heart) Obama. And just like that you’ve got your next bumper sticker.

1 comment:

Hannah Laufer-Rottman said...

Buba,

Con tan pocas palabras lo dices todo. Que rico leer tus blogs, es tan tu, lo que te hace vibrar y tu bello sentido de humore. Te adoro mi Buba. La Madre, h